Deploying application without database

I'm creating an application which references a remotely hosted database. Locally, the app connects perfectly, but when deploying to CloudFoundry, I don't have the option of not deploying the database. I want to keep the database where it is, not recreate it in CloudFoundry. How do I do this?

Ian

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
edc's picture

CF Deployment using remote database

That's a problem, now isn't it.
http://jira.wavemaker.com/browse/WM-3850

Sorry, but you'll need to use the vmc client for now.
Generate the WAR in studio using the WAR/EAR deployment option and push the WAR to CloudFoundry using VMC push.

The good news is that once you get VMC cli setup, it's handy to have around for managing your CF deployments, e.g. viewing the logs.

-Ed

Edward Callahan
Senior MTS
WaveMaker/SpringSource/VMware
===========================
WM 6.4.x, 6.5.x

-Ed

Edward Callahan

We created the WAR file and

We created the WAR file and deployed via vmc push (first using no services, then using a mysql service) but there's no connection to our remote database at all. It sill works fine locally.

edc's picture

What happens ?

Ok. What happens ?

In the WAR, I expect the db properties to still be using the jdbc url.

From vmc, you can view the logs for your app. Any errors there ?

I don't expect any restrictions on outbound connections from CF. Should be a clue as to the problem somewhere.

-Ed

Edward Callahan
Senior MTS
WM 6.4.x, 6.5.x

-Ed

Edward Callahan

I checked the logs, there

I checked the logs, there wasn't much there, I've appended below. The application deploys fine and runs, it starts with a login screen that depends on a table in the database for login information. But, entering the correct login information results in invalid username. I'm just taking out the security to check that the database itself is blank.

While that's happening, I'm wondering if I'm doing it right via vmc. I have a remote db, so I need to deploy with one service, right?

Ok, the application is re-deployed now without the login security, so I'll see if the db is empty. if it is, it means the connection isn't made.

It works. The database is connection. Ok, I just have to figure out now why the login security isn't working.

Thanks.

AttachmentSize
stderr.txt 2.42 KB
edc's picture

VMC push with external DB

Heading in the right direction.

No, you shouldn't need to bind a DB service to your app in this case. You are making a remote JDBC connection to your DB, binding a DB to your app may only be confusing things.

Is security via the same DB or another means ? Suspect it is not the same (single db for app) as data services based on your findings.

Regarding log files, can help to use the --all switch. I find CF sometimes a little odd in displaying log files in this regards.

-Ed

Edward Callahan
Senior MTS
WM 6.4.5, 6.5.M1

-Ed

Edward Callahan