WaveMaker Springs To VMware

March 8, 2011

We are announcing today that WaveMaker has been acquired by VMware. This partnership is the result of discussions that have been going on between WaveMaker and the SpringSource division of VMware for more than a year.

I have always had great respect for how Rod Johnson revitalized and simplified the Java market with the Spring framework and developer projects. When we started development of WaveMaker over three years ago, we chose Spring as our foundation.

WaveMaker is based on the Spring framework but targets a different audience: non-expert developers looking for the easiest way to build web apps.

It turns out that this is a very large market. According to Gartner, only 20% of IT staff have expert app development skills – WaveMaker is the tool to enable the other 80% of IT to build web apps quickly and deploy them to the cloud with a single mouse click.

As WaveMaker went from 3,000 downloads a month in January, 2010 to 135,000 downloads a month in December, 2010, we realized that we had created the perfect “on ramp” for cloud computing. WaveMaker can play a big role in bringing large numbers of developers to the cloud, but only if we team with the right cloud partner.

With VMware and SpringSource, we have found that partner!

The good news here is that VMware will continue to support and provide services to the WaveMaker customers, via the same team that provided it before.

For Rod’s perspective on the acquisition check out his blog post here.

14 Responses to “WaveMaker Springs To VMware”

1. Neal says:

I hear this being married with Spring Roo and all. What is the status? When can I use it?

2. admin says:

Hi, Yes, Roo integration should happen late next year.

3. Ian says:

Hi, VMware are planning to have a payed version of Wavemaker or it will remain available for free?

4. admin says:

Hi, VMware’s decision has been to make WaveMaker entirely open source – available for free. We have not heard of any other intention. If you would like to buy WaveMaker support, you can buy a developer support package from VMware.

5. Sergey says:

Hi!
    what cost of a developer support package? that is included into it?
    Thanks

6. Hi,

Did WaveMaker just come out with a new version of feature? I wrote an article about your tool a while ago, and just noticed that the article has recently become very popular. The article has always been one of my most heavily visited but it has shot to the top of the list recently.

I should take a second look at WaveMaker now that I have learned more JavaScript and jQuery and am more confortable in that area now.

Regards,
    Rich Bianco (aka DisplacedGuy at http://www.DisplacedGuy.com )

7. dblackherod says:

Hi, any developments with wavemaker + spring roo integration? how far gone is it and how much longer?..

8. Derek says:

We are focusing our efforts on Cloud Foundry integration. Roo is still on the candidate list for WM 7.0 planning.

9. Derek says:

Yep, lots of new versions. Keep up with us! And good luck with your website. Thanks for the article.

10. Lubo says:

Hi.

A strange thing hapend when I develop application in wavemaker.
    With no reason it make kopy of one page to another page and dismis my original page. There no way go back. I have to start from begining. Nice tool but realy unusable for serious development. Please do better availabilite to control over changes.

11. Derek says:

Could you report this issue in the forums? I’d like to get to the bottom of this but will need to better understand exactly what’s happening.

12. Gruttadauriaa says:

Great product !
    Any plans to offer fee based support for time sensitive critical issues and/or assistance?

13. Schmidt says:

We have came over Wavemaker and are really excited about it. I used to develop massive SQLWindows applications 15 years ago (you wouldn’t believe the productivity, albeit there are some drawbacks of RAD as usual). I have long been looking for something comparable on 3-tier-level. Wavemaker seams to be the one.

One concern: I have been a consultant for many first-choice tools in the past, partnering with the vendors, such as Rational tools etc. However, as soon as they were bought by large corporations, they vanished and are often meaningless today. Or they cost an arm and a leg.

Please promise that Wavemaker won’t go down that road, please…

14. jguy says:

Ok, this was good news a year ago for the best dev tool

What happened?